Experienced knitters don't make fewer mistakes than new knitters. They make bigger ones faster.



- Yarn Harlot -


Friday, February 25, 2011

Making Progress

So, I've figured out part of the problem with the laptop. It runs fine on battery power. However, when it's plugged into the wall, it shuts off. The really funny thing is that turns back on too. Any computer whizzes out there that have a theory?

Dr. Who Scarf

This is the scarf for my friend that was in our wedding. At first, I decided that I didn't like how the garter stitch looked and stared this in Stockinette stitch with a seed stitch border. However, even with the border, it rolled like crazy on the edges. It has been driving me so nuts that I have decided to restart it in garter stitch. And, surprisingly enough, it's going much faster. It's only about 2 feet long so far, so I've dubbed this as my other Quarter 1 goal. So here you go, Matt. I promise it is actually being worked on.



Spinning Update

I haven't done a lot of spinning lately due to the sock monster consuming my brain. But I figured, I would do a little show and tell on the things I've accomplished.

Here is the Targhee from Mountain colors. The staple was shorter than I'm used to, so it is spun woolen (which is fun and super fast). It's my first 3 ply yarn, which i learned is best for hiding, uh, inconsistencies in plies, and the twist gets distributed more evenly. I think it's about a worsted weight and will become a hat or mitts.


Here is the most recent yarn I made. It's Frabjous Fibers Merino in the Stained Glass colorway. I was aiming for a fingering weight yarn for a shawl. Since I'm not as confident about my spinning, I thought a 2 ply would do fine. I haven't totaled the yardage yet, but I think it will be enough. I've also decided that I really enjoy spinning merino.


Oh, and here is a picture of my "swift." yes, i know that's like cheating.




Sock Update

Pair #3 for this quarter will more than likely also be mismatched. I finished the other vanilla sock from Jawoll, and have almost an entire skein left over.


The Skyp sock is about halfway through the leg. I've switched from the bamboo DPNs to the teeny tiny circular I bought (it's an Addi Turbo 8") thinking it would make things go faster, but to no avail.

So, I decided to start a new sock! It was actually already done through the cuff since this was originally supposed to be the Skyp. I didn't like how it was turning out and was about to rip the whole thing out when I realized, "Hey, this is a finished cuff!" It sat on waste yarn for a few weeks, but I threw it on the tiny circular needle, and pumped out about 4 inches of leg during knitting on Sunday. That's about 2 and a half hours, which is lightening speed for me. I also decided to try a short row heel again.



You can't really see it in the picture, but one of the sides has a ridge along it, which I'm suspecting should be on the inside. Other than that, it''s going well. Now, what should I do for the toe?

1 comment:

  1. yay! Lovely handspun ... thankyou for sharing :)

    Jacinta

    ReplyDelete